2011-08-09

Greed and the Music Industry

Great paper/essay written by a Chicago artists that is becoming more well known these days. This is a re-print of a re-print as the original does not seem to be available these days.

Read it here.

quote:
"They’ve raised prices of CDs to punish us for losses to piracy, while of course; this only punishes honest music customers. RIAA has now stooped to sending out letters at random accusing internet users of sharing files and directing them to a website, where you can make “discount settlements” payable by credit card.

How can they sue you for $750 for downloading a digital song that’s sold to retailers for less than $0.70? I have yet to hear the answer to that question. So naturally, I think to myself: “Hey! I own a record label! How can I get involved in this profit party?”. Oh, RIAA is a private club. Small businesses don’t seem to be allowed.

So does this mean that if I sign with a major label I’ll get my fair share of these lawsuits battling the theft of my material? Nope. Artists are only compensated for post-recoup sales. 0% of this lawsuit money is trickled down to the artist. So basically, if you’re not one of these companies, you can’t win."

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Spam 4 You