2011-09-23

Still worried about pirates

So as usual, I start the morning by checking me email. In it today, is an email from Janek with a new post on his blog. Naturally, i went there, and noticed rright off, that there was a link to a post John Mclaughlin wront on his blog.

Starting with the Mclaughlin blog, I began to dig into a morning of reading while sipping my coffee.While I can not say that I am shocked by the blog post, it certainly is upsetting to me. I think it might be a bit too narrow minded, and the murder analogy is a bit far fetched for me. I Still have my one question though, How come all this piracy stuff only came up now and do we still need to discuss it? I for one, have to admit that as a youngster i created many "mix" cassettes and gave them away to all sorts of people.Also, I think it is a stated fact that piracy is going on, and will not stop anytime soon.

I still think the recent advances in technology have dramatically freed artists to explore more, and I think the freedom gained back from the labels will help all musicians in the long run. Don't forget, we no longer have to wait for some A&R guy to OK us going to the studio, and making a record.

Will it take awhile for the changes to finish,.... sure.
Will there be a lot of pain while things change,......... sure.
In the long run will life, work, and creativity be improved for musicians,.........YES!

Sooooo......... murder analogies aside, I went back to Janek's blog, thinking that he would follow suite and rail against the "interent boogey-men" as well. I was very pleased that he did not go down this path.Nice post Janek!

The changes coming and affecting the music industry will forever change the cultural landscape that we all navigate. The cat is out of the bag, and there is no going back to the good 'ole days. I am amazed at people who want to bring back the good 'ole days. Do they really prefer one person or company ripping them off, instead of thousands, even if the dollar amounts are the same? At least now a days, it is the fans who actually listen to the music ripping you off instead of the greedy record industry.

Oh well.....more tirades later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Spam 4 You